With this Internet Download Manager Review, I would like to have a go at one of the most popular download managers around, to see if it is worth the space it takes up on my hard drive. I have been using the program for more than a decade and thus feel qualified enough to give an honest opinion about it. I will include my own user experience and also include the features, pricing, and user interface to help you make a more informed decision prior to buying.
30-Day Trial Available – No need to provide credit card details
One-year license for 1 PC – $11.95
Lifetime license for 1 PC – 24.95
One-year license for 2 or more PCs – $9.95 for each PC
Lifetime license for 2 or more PCs – $19.95 for each PC
How Does it Work?
IDM is easy to install and manage with a few steps:
Download and install the program on your computer and restart.
Once it is installed, open your browser/s give IDM permission to integrate, and restart your browsers/s once completed. You will now be able to download files/audio/videos and so forth. A “download” button will appear next to content that is downloadable and enable you to choose from the different types of files available for download.
If you open the program on your computer, there will be many other options like Resume, Grabber and queues, Add URL, Delete, and so forth. In addition, you will access “help files”, fine-tune your setting, and manage your registration.
What About the Free Trial Version?
IDM offers a 30-day no-obligation trial to test the program. Most of the main features work in this version and you will be able to download content directly from a page. After 30 days the program will stop working and you will need to purchase a license key to get the full version.
How Safe/Stable is the Program?
I’ve been using IDM for more than 15 years and I can honestly say that it has never caused problems on my computers. Uses very little CPU power and barely uses up the RAM as many other programs do. In addition, it does not interfere with the performance of my browsers or antivirus program.
NB: Download IDM from their own website to avoid an unstable program or scams.
What About Support?
You will find articles on the IDM website that explain how the program works and how to use certain functions. These can also be found when you open the program on your computer. In addition, they also have a “support Webform” that can be filled out if you fail to manage a problem. To sum it up support is standard and not above average, but then again, I never had problems to the extent where I needed expert help.
Any Upsales or Advertisements?
No up-sales whatsoever and IDM is without advertisements that are linked to the program or download bar.
Internet Download Manager Review – Key Features and Pros
- Download with just one click.
- IDM supports HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, and MMS protocols.
- Supports all the popular browsers like Chrome, Mozilla, IE, UCBrowser, AOL, and so forth.
- By using the “Advanced Browser Integration” feature, it can be integrated into any application to take over a download.
- IDM is multilingual and can be translated into many languages like Bulgarian, Chinese, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Arabic, Dutch, Hebrew, and French to only name a few.
- IDM can accelerate your downloads by up to five times. It segments files dynamically and reuses connections.
- Automatic antivirus checks that make downloads free from Trojans and viruses. “Download All” feature that enables you to download all files that are linked to a current page.
- Quick and easy installation wizard that ensures a trouble-free installation and makes the necessary setting changes.
- Advanced browser integration – When enabled it can be used to catch any download from any application.
- IDM can connect to the internet at a set time and then download files you specified with the built-in scheduler and shut down your computer when the download is done.
- Program updates are regular and quick, and normally once a week. Be sure to update the program to have it run smoothly.
- IDM will resume unfinished downloads from the place where it was left off. The resume capability and error recovery will then restart broken or interrupted downloads caused by network problems, computer shutdowns, or dropped connections.
- Supports a variety of proxy servers like Microsoft ISA and FTP, to only name a few.
- You can drag and drop downloaded files out of IDM and also Drag and drop links to IDM.
I have a hard time finding anything negative about the program and will only mention points that might be a problem for others.
Besides the Q&A and web form, there are no other methods to solve a problem. I never encountered a problem with their platform (It is that easy to work with), and thus I do not see the need for additional support.
Firefox, my favorite browser, does not always integrate well with IDM. Sometimes the download option will be available on Facebook but not on YouTube. This, however, has NOTHING to do with IDM at all, but rather interference when Firefox updates. Once, IDM updates, after a Firefox update, it works fine again. This does not happen often though and all the other browsers seem to handle IDM just fine.
Conclusion Drawn From Own Experience…
I have been using Internet Download Manager for more than 15 years and cannot go without it. In my opinion the best download manager with a beyond user-friendly interface that works well and is reasonably priced.
Video on Facebook is usually the “come and go” type of content; once your timeline refreshes, it is almost impossible to find them again. In addition, there are not that many download managers with the capability to download FB videos. With IDM’s download button below/above videos, it is just a click and you have the video in your download folder to watch later. Facebook usually has a lot of content on the timeline that will include multiple videos. With other downloaders, I have found that it will download the wrong content, however, with IDM, that is never the case. It will grab it correct video all the time.
YouTube is bliss with IDM and will list all the file formats available for download. I like to listen to “music remixes” while working and most of them are like an hour to 2 hours long. On a slow connection, it takes forever to load and I have found that IDM actually downloads the video faster than the actual load speed. A must-have for those who struggle with slow connections.
To sum it up…
IDM is a beyond-impressive program that allows you to download almost any type of file. I would say that it is definitely under-priced for what it does and its stability. No annoying advertisements or up-sales which makes it bliss to have around all day.
IDM is a trustworthy company with a product that delivers! When I buy something online, I usually get a bad feeling that it would most likely be one of those purchases where I will be overcharged or have a charge that goes off without permission. (Happens often since I review products). Each time I purchased IDM, the transaction was secure with no over-charging and I got exactly what I paid for.
Just because you can download any type of file, does not mean you should!
A lot of content has copyright and it is considered stealing when you download those without paying for them. There is also common courtesy and please consider that content creators work endless hours to bring you awesome videos and such. Be kind and share/like/recommend their stuff. It is also good manners to ask if you can download their content for personal use before doing so.
Well, that is it for this review. Do you use IDM or used it in the past? Please be so kind as to help me refrain from making this a one-sided opinion by sharing your experience. It would be much appreciated!
Have yourself an awesome day!